The Superintendent is responsible for the daily operation of a job site, including scheduling, production, and procurement of materials, manpower, and equipment. Supervises all direct labor positions on the assigned project. Manages and oversees any contracted work on the site to ensure successful project completion.
This position is based in Concord, NC 28027.
- Studies specifications to plan procedures for construction on basis of starting and completion times and staffing requirements for each phase of construction, based on knowledge of available tools and equipment and various building methods.
- Interacts with the Project Manager to determine the project schedule; develops and utilizes "look ahead" schedules to assess progress and spot upcoming issues.
- Coordinates the pre-construction meeting with the Project Manager prior to mobilization.
- Directs procurement of tools and materials to be delivered at specified times to conform to work schedules.
- Ensures all parties involved with the project are informed of construction issues and progress:
- (1) meets with and directs supervisory personnel engaged in planning and executing work procedures, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays;
- (2) meets regularly with craft personnel to update them on construction issues and to gather input for solutions;
- (3) meets with subcontractors prior to the sub's mobilization to review scope of work and schedule; also, advises subs prior to each phase of work on schedule and phasing requirements; and
- (4) meets regularly with clients to update them on the project's progress.
- Works with supervisory personnel and labor representatives to resolve complaints and grievances within the project work force.
- Confers with supervisory and engineering personnel and/or inspectors and suppliers of tools and materials to resolve construction problems and to improve construction methods.
- Inspects work in progress to ensure that work conforms to specifications and to construction schedules.
- Manages the project based on progress reports, materials used, and costs and adjusts work schedules accordingly.
- Works in conjunction with Project Manager and Preconstruction Manager in developing the Project Procurement Plan. Ensures that company policies, such as safety policies, equal opportunity, and others, are implemented consistently.
- Ensures company quality standards and housekeeping requirements are maintained.
- Implements and communicates company core values on and off the jobsite.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Engages in training with field engineers and laborers
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or construction related field or equivalent or at least 5 years commercial construction experience as a Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction processes.
- Has a valid driver's license and is able to travel to and from the project site.
- Understands and applies building codes and other design requirements correctly and reads blueprints accurately.
- Has good understanding and knowledge of subcontractors' scopes of work and tolerances.
- Has good written and verbal communication skills: expresses ideas clearly and effectively.
- Has good administrative skills: monitors the progress and coordination of work activities; keeps other members of the organization informed of progress and problems.
- Has good management skills: establishes techniques to effectively and proactively monitor and supervise the work of subordinates and to follow up on the results of delegated assignments.
- Maintains integrity: maintains the normal standards of ethics, conduct, and organizational policies in job-related activities.
- Has excellent problem-solving ability: finds and uses relationships between data from different sources to formulate alternative solutions.
- Is a team player: works well with other people; takes time to help co-workers, customers, subcontractors and others achieve their goals and assignments.
- Maintains good interpersonal relationships: uses tact; is sensitive to the feelings and needs of others. Is organized: establishes priorities and a course of action for handling multiple tasks.
- Plans effectively: establishes courses of action for self and for others; allocates resources and assigns personnel; uses time efficiently; is personally well-organized. Is professional: displays appropriate appearance and professional conduct; makes a good impression on others.
- Shows initiative: actively tries to influence events to achieve goals; is a self-starter, working well with minimal supervision; strives to achieve goals beyond minimal levels of performance.
- Has the ability to operate office equipment, such as fax, copier, and telephone. Can use spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Knowledge and use of Procore preferred.
- Health Insurance
- 401(k) Matching
- Opportunity for Growth
- Access to Continuing Education
- Generous Vacation
- Stay Close to Home
Liles Construction is an equal opportunity employer.