The Project Engineer assists the Preconstruction Manager and Project Manager in ensuring the estimate and/or project is completed within the standards of Liles Construction Company. Assist trades people interpret the job's designs, ensure the job is constructed according to the project plans, and assist project controls, including budgeting, scheduling, and planning.
In some cases, a Project Engineer is responsible for assisting the assigned Project Manager regarding design and execution of one or more simultaneous projects. A Project Engineer is a multi-tool to the Preconstruction and Construction departments. This position is an entry-level position with growth potential and career progression.
This position is based in Concord, NC 28027.
- Ensures that Integrity is delivered by working with honesty, unity, safety, and quality of work.
- Must be able to multi-task, be a Team Player, and have initiative to make yourself better and the company better.
- Understand and implement the Invitation to Bid process.
- Assist in keeping the Vendor directory current and accurate.
- Learn and demonstrate proficiency in reading and understanding project specifications and drawings.
- Communicate and develop relationships with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Perform take-offs using Bluebeam & Planswift.
- Learn how to use and adopt the various Preconstruction & Construction related excel spreadsheets.
- Assist Precon Team with reviewing project documents, quantifying/qualifying/developing scopes of work, and perform subcontractor bid analysis.
- Establish and maintain the Action Item Matrix and AVE Logs.
- Assures project construction compliance by becoming intimately familiar with the assigned project plans and specifications. Follows up on, reviews, and submits shop drawings, samples, material lists, and other submittals to document compliance.
- Follows up for receipt, review, distribution, and filing of information and documents required for project construction. Includes plan revisions, Requests for Information, Submittals, photos, videos, etc. as required.
- Maintains logs, reflecting the status of shop drawings, requests for clarification, change requests, and proposal requests.
- Reviews plans from the standpoint of constructability.
- Communicates inconsistencies to the architect via Requests for Information.
- Reviews plans for potential labor saving and other cost-saving methods. Communicates these with the project team and ownership.
- Attends and takes notes for project team meetings, including weekly Owner/Architect meetings and subcontractor coordination meetings. Distributes meeting minutes to participants.
- Works with the Superintendent and Project Manager to prepare project schedule, including establishing dates for receiving shop drawings and milestones necessary to avoid delays to the project.
- Participates in project schedule updates as needed.
- Publishes weekly progress reports for assigned projects.
- Assists in bidding and developing scope of work for trade contractors.
- Reviews field procedures and final installation of structural elements to ensure compliance of the work and assists with compiling and preparing documents and trainings for project closeout as required by specifications.
- Observes and analyzes work methods, techniques, and procedures to advise superintendent on improvement of production efficiency.
- Instills safety culture. Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
- Report unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Safety Manager. Updates and implements software programs for collaboration, quality, and document management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or needed.
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, construction management, or related field, or the equivalent education and experience.
- Adequate field experience will be considered in lieu of formal degree.
- Good written and oral communication skills. Expresses self clearly and effectively when talking with individuals and groups. Demonstrates poise and mastery of language by expressing ideas clearly in writing and using proper organization and grammar.
- Flexibility: Willing to modify plans and behavior when necessary to meet a goal.
- Cooperation: Works well with other people. Takes time to help co-workers, customers and others achieve their goals and assignments.
- Learning Ability: Has the ability and desire to quickly learn new job-related information.
- The ability to understand and apply OSHA and company safety requirements.
- Problem Solving: Solves practical problems and deals with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interprets a variety of complex instructions.
- Knows how to manage events to achieve goals, is a self-starter, works well without close supervision, and has a record of achieving aggressive goals.
- The ability to read and understand blueprints.
- One year of previous field experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of scheduling programs preferred.
- Ability to understand and convey basic Spanish commands, questions, and instructions preferred.
- Technical Skills – Ability to learn new software programs quickly and apply them to processes.
- Health Insurance
- 401(k) Matching
- Opportunity for Growth
- Access to Continuing Education
- Generous Vacation
- Stay Close to Home
Liles Construction is an equal opportunity employer.